Friday, September 19, 2008

Tax Attorneys

Do I need a tax attorney? This is a common question I am asked of taxpayers whenever they have a serious problem with the IRS. First of all, any problem with the IRS is a serious problem. As a tax consultant my question back to the client is, “It depends.” It depends on the type of action the IRS is taking against the taxpayer. For the most part a taxpayer should consult a tax attorney to help them avoid having a problem with the IRS. However, if the taxpayer has not taken the proper steps to protect them from the IRS and they now find themselves in a situation where they owe the IRS money, a tax attorney is generally not the best option.

If the issue is unfiled tax returns and/or an unpaid tax liability these types of problems can be handled by a tax advisor skilled in tax resolution. A tax attorney would be needed if the taxpayer was under some type of formal indictment by the Criminal Investigation Division of the IRS and needed legal representation. A tax advisor skilled in tax resolution who knows the rules regarding tax resolution should be able to work out a plan of resolution with the IRS on behalf of the taxpayer. Most delinquent taxpayers are unaware of all the options available to them thru the tax code.

Current tax law provides for 21 methods of resolving an outstanding liability with the IRS. The challenge for most people have is knowing all of the laws. This is why the services of a tax professional is a must. Tax attorneys are great at what do. So are tax consultants. Know your options! Call a tax consultant today!

No comments: